With a history back to Domesday and many unique mediaeval buildings, Thaxted is one of the jewels in the heritage crown of the UK. It has a rural and unspoilt character that comes from the fact that it far from any major roads or railways; this isolated nature has meant that development has passed it by for over 1,000 years.
The village has 1,200 households but has seen a number of large developments since 2010. In 2015 the local residents group and Parish Council successfully won an appeal against a development for 120 homes from developer Gladman.
2015 new Local Plan Context
After their draft Local Plan was rejected, Uttlesford District Council started a new Local Plan process in 2015. The start of the process included a ‘call for sites’. This asked all landowners and developers to come forward with land that they’d like to develop within the Local Plan period. In effect this means between now and 2033. There are a surplus of potential development sites across the district, so the council will consult and consider which ones it wishes to include as part of its Local Plan.
Development Sites Being Considered
Below are the possible new (2015) Local Plan sites in the village.
- Download maps, details and housing numbers for each site (source UDC, 2015)
- Download UDC’s assessment of the suitability of each site (SLLA, 22 Feb 2016)
- Contact: Thaxted Residents’ Group – Hands off Thaxted
- Councillors: Parish Ward | District Ward | County Division
- WeAreResidents.org response to 55 home (Policy Area 1) planning application for Thaxted
Key Planning Applications
- Planning Application: Thaxted (120), West of Walden Rd; Gladman (UTT/14/1033/OP, UTT/14/3300/OP)
- Planning Application: Thaxted (47), Wedow Rd; Hoar (UTT/13/1170/OP)
- 12,500 new homes needed in Uttlesford says UDC 04-Oct-15
- Appeal starts against Gladman’s 120 homes in Thaxted 12-Jan-15
- Public Consulation: ECC proposes to push roadworks to night-time at 133 more Uttlesford streets 09-Oct-14
- 47 additional homes in Thaxted after Inspector overturns planning refusal 05-Jun-14
- Document: WeAreResidents.org response to June 2014 draft Local Plan Consultation 02-Jun-14
- Thaxted says NO to green field development of 120 new homes 21-Apr-14
- Planning Application: Thaxted (120), West of Walden Rd; Gladman (UTT/14/1033/OP, UTT/14/3300/OP) 16-Apr-14
- Planning Application: Thaxted (47), Wedow Rd; Hoar (UTT/13/1170/OP) 06-Aug-13
- Mixed bag at UDC Planning Committee: 55 Walden homes withdrawn; 55 in Thaxted approved 03-Jul-13
- UDC Planning Committee approves 112 new homes and refuses 57 06-Jun-13