Saffron Walden in Essex has 6,700 households. With the remains of a Normal castle and unspoilt mediaeval architecture it is one of the most historic market towns in the country. The town’s road network is based on the mediaeval street pattern.
The town saw little growth until late Victorian times, and then again in the 1970s. The town was targeted by Uttlesford District Council for a minimum of 1,050 new homes in its failed Local Plan. Over 800 of these were approved before the draft Local Plan was rejected in 2014.
Critically UDC only considered locations to the east of the town, a long way from the transport corridors on the west, and forcing traffic through the town and residential neighbourhoods. The failed plan also contained little in the way of infrastructure, leading to schools, doctors and sewers that are over capacity.
Development Already Approved
2015 new Local Plan Context
After their draft Local Plan was rejected, Uttlesford District Council started a new Local Plan process in 2015. The start of the process included a ‘call for sites’. This asked all landowners and developers to come forward with land that they’d like to develop within the Local Plan period. In effect this means between now and 2033. There are a surplus of potential development sites across the district, so the council will consult and consider which ones it wishes to include as part of its Local Plan.
Development Sites Being Considered
Below are the possible new (2015) Local Plan sites in the village.
- Download maps, details and housing numbers for each site (source UDC, 2015)
- Download UDC’s assessment of the suitability of each site (SLLA, 22 Feb 2016)
- Contact residents group WeAreResidents.org
- Councillors: Parish Ward | District Wards: Audley, Castle, Shire | County Division
Key Planning Applications for Saffron Walden
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (85), Gladman, Little Walden Road (UTT/15/2069/OP)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (36), Catons Lane/Lime Avenue – Persimmon (UTT/15/2008/FUL)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (10), Moore’s Garage, Thaxted Rd (UTT/14/2003/FUL)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (24), LPA/Tudor Works, Debden Rd (UTT/14/0356/DFO)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (200), Manor Oak, Radwinter Rd (UTT/13/3467/OP)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (52 + care-home), Willis & Gambier, Radwinter Rd (UTT/13/3406/FUL, UTT/13/1981/OP)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (52), Kilns, Thaxted Rd (UTT/13/1937/OP)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (167), Ridgeons, Ashdon Rd (UTT/13/2423/OP)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (300), Kier, Thaxted Rd (UTT/13/2060/OP)
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (130), Persimmon, Tudor Park/Ashdon Rd (UTT/1572/12/DFO)
See the Planning Applications section for all major planning applications.
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (85), Gladman, Little Walden Road (UTT/15/2069/OP) 03-Aug-16
- Public Consultation: Air Quality in Saffron Walden 15-Mar-16
- Read Document: WeAreResidents.org Public Consultation response to removal of Saffron Walden on-street parking (TRO5523/Amendment No. 40, Order 201*) 18-Feb-16
- Parking quango unable to justify proposals to remove 1.7km of parking in Saffron Walden – Press Release 16-Feb-16
- Document: UDC’s legal advice about Kier (UTT/13/2060/OP) appeal obtained under FOI 03-Feb-16
- Concerns that UDC ‘acted wrongly’ over Kier appeal after FOI request shows UDC misrepresented legal advice to Planning Inspector – Press Release 03-Feb-16
- 12,500 new homes needed in Uttlesford says UDC 04-Oct-15
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (36), Catons Lane/Lime Avenue – Persimmon (UTT/15/2008/FUL) 09-Jul-15
- Press Release: Appeal victory for Saffron Walden residents against unsustainable development by Kier 02-Jun-15
- Kier appeal decision expected after election 30-Mar-15
- Kier housing appeal for east of Saffron Walden set for 17 March 2015 22-Dec-14
- Press Release: Refusal of Local Plan gives residents a boost on delayed Kier housing appeal 05-Dec-14
- Update from Planning Inspector’s Uttlesford Local Plan hearing first week 23-Nov-14
- Planning Inspector starts Uttlesford Local Plan hearings 17-Nov-14
- Saffron Walden Town Council and WeAreResidents.org working together to fight Kier appeal 01-Nov-14