Newport in Essex has 973 homes, 124 of which have been built since 2001.
Over the last few years Newport has be targeted for relatively large growth. The rejected 2014 Local Plan saw a number of developments approved and a number more have come forward. The village is restricted by the motorway and railway/flood plain on either side and so proposed locations are north and south and are in effect ribbon-development. Unsustainable development is opposed by the local residents’ group, SaveNewportVillage.
2015 new Local Plan Context
After their draft Local Plan was rejected, Uttlesford District Council started a new Local Plan process in 2015. The start of the process included a ‘call for sites’. This asked all landowners and developers to come forward with land that they’d like to develop within the Local Plan period. In effect this means between now and 2033. There are a surplus of potential development sites across the district, so the council will consult and consider which ones it wishes to include as part of its Local Plan.
Development Sites Being Considered
Below are the possible new (2015) Local Plan sites in the village.
- Download maps, details and housing numbers for each site (source UDC, 2015)
- Download UDC’s assessment of the suitability of each site (SLLA, 22 Feb 2016)
Key Planning Applications for Newport:
- Planning Application: Newport (94), Ellis/West of London Rd (UTT/15/1869/FUL)
- Planning Application: Newport (35), Whiteditch Lane (UTT/14/0939/OP)
- Planning Application: Newport (84), Bury Water Lane (UTT/13/1769/OP)
See the Planning Applications section for other major planning applications.
- 12,500 new homes needed in Uttlesford says UDC 04-Oct-15
- Planning Application: Newport (94), Ellis/West of London Rd (UTT/15/1869/FUL) 14-Jul-15
- Press Release: Uttlesford residents form political party and launch campaign to win 2015 district election 22-Oct-14
- 3,000 objection letters handed to UDC before draft Local Plan deadline 02-Jun-14
- Document: WeAreResidents.org response to June 2014 draft Local Plan Consultation 02-Jun-14
- Planning Application: Newport (35), Whiteditch Lane (UTT/14/0939/OP) 01-May-14
- Press Release: Uttlesford residents group serves formal complaint against UDC Cabinet Member for misleading full council over draft Local Plan 22-Apr-14
- Partisan whipping forces through UDC approval of draft Local Plan 08-Apr-14
- Document: WeAreResidents.org response to November 2013 Local Plan Update 13-Jan-14
- Residents Groups and Councils unite to call on UDC to ditch its draft Local Plan and start again 01-Nov-13