In recent years, Elsenham village in Essex has seen significant growth. The village of Henham is next to Elsenham. Under the 2014 rejected Local Plan a ‘village extension’ to Elsenham would have in effect joined the two villages.
From 2007 to 2012, Uttlesford District Council promoted Elsenham and Henham as their preferred site for a village extension/new settlement for the majority of new housing in the district. In December 2014 the Local Plan Inspector rejected UDC’s draft Local Plan with a significant factor being the unsound and unsustainable location of this new settlement.
2015 new Local Plan Context
After their draft Local Plan was rejected, Uttlesford District Council started a new Local Plan process in 2015. The start of the process included a ‘call for sites’. This asked all landowners and developers to come forward with land that they’d like to develop within the Local Plan period. In effect this means between now and 2033. There are a surplus of potential development sites across the district, so the council will consult and consider which ones it wishes to include as part of its Local Plan.
Development Sites Being Considered
Below are the possible new (2015) Local Plan sites in Elsenham and Henham.
Download maps, details and housing numbers for each site (source UDC, 2015):
Download UDC’s assessment of the suitability of each site (SLLA, 22 Feb 2016):
- Visit the local residents’ group Save Our Villages website
- Councillors: Parish Ward: Elsenham, Henham | District Ward | County Division
Key Planning Applications
- Planning Application: Elsenham (165), South of Stansted Road (UTT/13/1790)
- Planning Application: Elsenham (800), Fairfield, Station Road (UTT/13/0808/OP)
- Planning Application: Elsenham (130), West of Hall Rd (UTT/13/0177/OP, UTT/14/0721/DFO)
See the Planning Applications section for all major planning applications.
- 12,500 new homes needed in Uttlesford says UDC 04-Oct-15
- Update from Planning Inspector’s Uttlesford Local Plan hearing first week 23-Nov-14
- Planning Inspector starts Uttlesford Local Plan hearings 17-Nov-14
- 3,000 objection letters handed to UDC before draft Local Plan deadline 02-Jun-14
- Document: WeAreResidents.org response to June 2014 draft Local Plan Consultation 02-Jun-14
- Press Release: Uttlesford residents group serves formal complaint against UDC Cabinet Member for misleading full council over draft Local Plan 22-Apr-14
- Partisan whipping forces through UDC approval of draft Local Plan 08-Apr-14
- UDC meets 5-year housing supply by approving more than 900 new homes 12-Feb-14
- Public Consultation: Local Plan Additional Housing Numbers and Sites **Ends January 13th** 09-Jan-14
- Residents Groups and Councils unite to call on UDC to ditch its draft Local Plan and start again 01-Nov-13
- 2014 “Love Where You Live” Calendar Competition 08-Oct-13
- UDC Planning Committee approves 237 and refuses 800 homes 02-Oct-13
- District Council dumps 370 more homes on Uttlesford settlements 25-Sep-13
- Over 1,000 new homes to be decided by UDC Planning Committee on 2nd October 25-Sep-13
- Planning Application: Elsenham (165), South of Stansted Road (UTT/13/1790) 05-Jul-13
- Planning Application: Elsenham (800), Fairfield, Station Road (UTT/13/0808/OP) 03-Apr-13
- Papers: Stansted residents oppose speculative housing applications 14-Feb-13
- Planning Application: Elsenham (130), West of Hall Rd (UTT/13/0177/OP, UTT/14/0721/DFO) 28-Jan-13
- Document: UDC appraisals of all potential development sites (SHLAA) 31-Jan-12