There were 3 major planning applications in front of the UDC Planning Committee at the specially convened meeting on 30th April 2014. The 3 sites were the major draft Local Plan sites for Saffron Walden that UDC have been hurrying through even before their draft Local Plan finishes public consultation. They were:
- Kier on Thaxted Rd for 300 homes
- Manor Oak on Radwinter Rd for either 230 homes or 200 homes and a school
- Ridgeon for 167 homes and the redevelopment of part of their employment site
367 of the new homes were approved. All the sites are on the inaccessible east of Saffron Walden.
WeAreResidents.org has been lobbying for sustainable development in Saffron Walden, and the 10 hour marathon session featured over 50 speakers and lively debate. The major concerns raised by residents related to traffic, illegal air quality, schools and sports provision.
BBC News coverage of the Planning Meeting:
Residents protested about the air quality impacts of the proposed development outside the UDC offices ahead of the meeting for a BBC News team.
Here is how the UDC Planning Committee voted:
The outcome was:
- Kier refused for 300 homes on the basis of traffic and environmental issues
- Manor Oak approved for 200 homes with a new primary school and relief road for the congested Thaxted Rd traffic lights
- Ridgeon approved for 167 homes with a redevelopment of their site and request for the retention of a community football field