Demolition of existing employment site buildings, change of use to residential, and building of 24 dwellings.
The development is one of the smaller ones proposed for Saffron Walden and the LPA site always seemed out of place in a residential area, so the application isn’t particularly controversial. It is also in one of the better locations for new homes; being on the west of town it won’t contribute to traffic congestion and air pollution.
Outline Planning Consent was granted in 2012 and it has been followed by a Detailed Planning application in early 2014.
** The Detailed Planning Application is in public consultation until 19 March 2014 **
Residents will want to make sure that the same mistake isn’t made as was with the ugly “barracks” style housing on the nearby Friends School site – it will be important that the new properties facing Debden Road are in keeping with their ornate Victoria neighbours this time. Email your comments to UDC at email@example.com or post comments directly on the UDC planning website.
Proposed view from Debden Road
- Location: Tudor Works, Debden Road, Saffron Walden, CB11 4AN
- Developer website: Croudace Homes
- Number new homes in application: 24
- Estimated Primary school places required: 8
- Estimated Secondary school places required: 6
- Estimated 6th Form school places required: 2
- Estimated Section-106 provision for education: £200,000
- Estimated value of other ECC Section-106 obligations (non-Highway): £50,000
- Estimated new residential cars: 39
- Size: 0.57 hectares
- UDC Local Plan site reference: SAF21
- UDC maximum site yield: 30
- 19-Mar-2014: UTT/14/0356/DFO: End of public consultation (Detailed Planning)
- 04-Feb-2014: UTT/14/0356/DFO: Detailed Planning application
- 20-Nov-2012: UTT/1252/12/OP: Outline Planning Approved
- 19-Oct-2012: UTT/1252/12/OP: End of public consultation (Outline Planning)
- 15-Jun-2012: UTT/1252/12/OP: Outline Planning application