A new housing estate of up to 230 homes on farmland on the east of Saffron Walden, behind Shire Hill to Radwinter Rd. There are 2 options to the proposals, either
- (Approved 30th April 2014): Up to 200 new homes (40% affordable), with employment land, Extra Care housing and land for a primary school; or
- Up to 230 new homes (40% affordable), with employment land and an Extra Care housing.
On the 30th April 2014 the UDC Planning Committee approved the second option of this application, which was for 200 new homes, land for a new primary school, extra care units, employment land for 247 new jobs, and a road from Radwinter Rd to Shire Hill to relive congestion at the busy Thaxted Rd lights.
The site is part of a larger parcel of land for which UDC have indicated 800 to 1,223 new homes in total. The owner has made no public statement over their intention for the remainder of the land.
With respect to roads, the proposals provide relief for the busy Thaxted/Radwinter Rd junction by providing an estate road from Shire Hill to Radwinter Rd bypassing the lights.
- Location: South of Radwinter Road, Saffron Walden, CB10 2LD
- Developer website: Framptons | Manor Oak Homes
- Number new homes in application: 200 (or 230)
- Size: 13.9 hectares (out of total site of 51 hectares)
- UDC Local Plan site reference: SAF4
- UDC maximum site yield: 1,223 houses for total site
- Planning documents: Developer road-show information boards (PDF)
- Estimated new residential cars: 320 (or 368 if 230 houses)
- Estimated Primary school places required: 65 (or 75 )
- Estimated Secondary school places required: 44 (or 50)
- Estimated 6th Form school places required: 9 (or 10)
- Estimated minimum developer contribution to sports/open-space: £9,200,000 (or £1,060,000)
- Estimated Section-106 provision for education: £1,640,000 (or £1,886,000)
- Estimated value of other ECC Section-106 obligations (non-Highway): £406,000 (or £470,000)
- 30-Apr-2014: UTT/13/3467/OP: Outline Planning application APPROVED for 200 homes
- 01-Apr-2014: UTT/13/3467/OP: End of public consultation
- 24-Dec-2013: UTT/13/3467/OP: Outline Planning development application
- 27-Nov-2013: Pre-application developer road-show
- UDC approves 367 homes and refuses 300 in Saffron Walden 30-Apr-14
- Residents’ claim UDC tries to use April 30th Planning Meeting to seal Saffron Walden’s fate ahead of Local Plan 24-Apr-14
- Document: WeAreResidents.org Saffron Walden Aggregate Air Quality Public Consultation Submission (ARUP Report) 01-Apr-14
- Document: WeAreResidents.org response to UTT/13/3467/OP (Manor Oak, Radwinter Rd, Saffron Walden) 19-Feb-14
- Manor Oak 230 home development for east of Saffron Walden in public consultation until February 18th 29-Jan-14
- Planning Application: Saffron Walden (200), Manor Oak, Radwinter Rd (UTT/13/3467/OP) 27-Nov-13