The Ridgeons development application for 167 homes, including nearly 70 affordable, on Ashdon Rd in Saffron Walden is available for public consultation and comment until Friday 11th October. The application has more balanced arguments on either side than other recent planning applications for the town and so it requires a little more thought.
On the plus side it:
- Provides 67 affordable homes as well as 100 market houses, unlike the Willis and Gambier application which has no affordable housing;
- Proposes modern buildings for local jobs, unlike the Kilns application which takes jobs away;
- Safeguards one of the largest employers in town, Ridgeons;
- Provides land for a local convenience store and hotel;
- Is promoted by a well-respected local business with a long time commitment to the community both in terms of employment and support for local organisations.
But on the down side it:
- Doesn’t deal with the traffic issues. It is on the wrong side of town and will generate an estimated 220 new residential cars along Ashdon Rd and through the Thaxted Rd lights. The only mitigation would likely be yellow lines on Ashdon Rd and where would residents park then;
- Still has illegal air quality issues: It will significantly contribute to the illegal air quality in the town, again without any real mitigation;
- Doesn’t resolve schools capacity problems: It will generate 100 new pupils when schools are full and can’t expand. We’ve recently been told that Essex County Council is already reaching out to village primary schools to plan for places for new students. It is not about a financial contribution any more, it is about physical classrooms and this development doesn’t provide any;
- Loss of sports field: There will be a loss of a football field, one of the very few sports facilities that residents if that end of town can access;
Create your own response
As usual we have prepared a standard response that residents can send in to UDC to oppose all aspects of the development, however given the pros and cons of this development you may wish to support some aspects and oppose/comment on others.
To help you with the latter, you can download the Word version of our response document and use it as a basis for your own response before sending it to UDC. Whichever approach you take, responses need to be with UDC by end-of-day Friday, 11th October 2013.
Here are the several ways to respond:
- Email a standard objection letter: Send UDC a pre-filled email response that opposes all aspects of the development. All you need to do is click the button below, fill your name and address at the top of the email then click Send.Note: the button/link above may not work if you use webmail or Windows 8. If this is the case then please use the content in this text file inserting your own name and address.
- or, Send your own customised email/letter: Alternatively you can download the Word version of the letter, modify it, paste it into an email and send it in yourself. You should email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post/deliver to UDC Planning, Uttlesford District Council, London Road, Saffron Walden, Essex CB11 4ER.
- or, Post a comment directly on the UDC website, on the UTT/13/2423/OP planning application page (registration required to comment).